Wednesday, September 24, 2008

you heard it here first

Because I have officially lost faith that good intentions can prevail over ego and incompetence and bureaucracy in the work world (yup, and I've been in the work world only five years. Impressive, no?)...

Because I miss the world of ideas, and haggling over theory and dissecting structural violence and privilege and writing papers instead of sleeping enough (I'm not sure about that last one, but it seems to go with the others, so I may as well embrace it)...

Because reading for pleasure is just too much fun...

Because maybe, maybe, if I play my cards right and things fall into place, I'll come out on the other side more employable...

Because I'm totally in love with where I live, so clearly I need to move...

Because massive debt is fun...

... I think I'm going to try to go to grad school next fall.

And because if two years worth of massive debt is fun, three years must be even more fun...

... I think I want to get a dual Master's degree in International Affairs and Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning.

And if we're really dreaming big here, then maybe I want to go from there and get a Ph.D. and teach college students how to be critical thinkers and social activists.

There, I said it.

That's the hard part, right? Saying it out loud, declaring it to the world? Taking the GRE, applying to school, going to school, and somehow paying for school are the easy parts, yes? I'm sure I read that somewhere once.

6 comments:

Adina@adinagordon.com said...

Exactly how ironic would it be if I moved there and you left?

waterskibarb said...

Does Minnesota have a good program? :-)

violindan said...

Yeah, I hear Minnesota is a swing state all of a sudden. (aside: WTF?) So maybe you should move back there.

Moti and Amanda said...

Ahem. There will be no moving away from New England. Other than that I think this is a brilliant idea!!!!! *love*

Anonymous said...

love it!! nudge, nudge...right off that cliff!! :)

See you at LEAF! Drag the schmoop monster south with you!!

:)

Moti and Amanda said...

Schmoop *monster*? That is so not part of the nickname!!!!!!!!!!