Wednesday, September 10, 2008

better today

The FCC has declared my self-exposure yesterday as slightly less appropriate and far less culturally significant than Janet Jackson's nipple at the Super Bowl. I am therefore dutifully bleeping it out of existence.

Apparently last night I needed to have a tantrum to the internet. Today I need to keep my shirt on and apologize for outburst.

Yesterday was, indeed, a really bad day. I am still struggling with all of that, and in some ways probably will forever, as it re-emphasizes questions I've had for a while now about personal and professional priorities, the purpose (if there is one) of ambition as it's traditionally defined, and what's really important in life. I continue to be pretty disappointed in our culture's mainstream answers to these questions, and to be unsure of whether the most sane response is to fight the system or go live off the grid in the woods somewhere.

And then I got a good night's sleep and woke up this morning deciding that my current situation is what it is, and I will fight it and stand up for myself and make whatever decisions I need to make, but I will not wallow in depression over stupidity I have no control over, and I will not let it take over my life.


You're probably as relieved as I am. As is the FCC. Just trust me on that.

1 comment:

justacoolcat said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Sometimes sleeping on it is really the best thing.