Wednesday, December 12, 2007

if the problem doesn't drive me insane, the problem-solver will

Toshiba Customer Screw-over Man: What is the problem you are having with your computer, ma'am?

Monkeyhippy: The CD drive won't stay closed, and when the computer is on it makes a horrible loud continuous clicking noise. Perhaps you can hear it right now.

Toshiba Man: Well, since this is a hardware issue, what you must do is take your computer to the nearest Toshiba service center. I am seeing that the nearest Toshiba service center to your zip code is in Waltham.

Monkeyhippy: Waltham,
Massachusetts???

Toshiba Man: Yes, ma'am. That is the nearest Toshiba service center in your area.

Monkeyhippy: That's two and a half hours away. I can't take my computer to Waltham, Massachusetts.

Toshiba Man: OK well then ma'am, that is the nearest Toshiba service center.

Monkeyhippy: [more firmly and loudly] That is very far away, I cannot take my computer there. Are there closer options?

Toshiba Man: OK well then ma'am, are there other zip codes near you?

Monkeyhippy: [incredulous pause] Yes, my zip code is, in fact, surrounded by other zip codes.

Toshiba Man: OK well then ma'am, perhaps you could give me another zip code near you and I will see what the nearest Toshiba service center is?

Monkeyhippy: [another incredulous pause] Um... if you look up service centers nearest to zip codes near my zip code, that doesn't change the fact that I still live in
my zip code and will be traveling from my zip code.

Toshiba Man: [long pause] OK well yes ma'am. If you do not wish to tell me other zip codes near you then I cannot help you find the nearest Toshiba service center to zip codes near your zip code.

Monkeyhippy: That's... true. Goodbye.

6 comments:

waterskibarb said...

A new, you live in a small town, lesson for you. When you buy stuff, check their support plan and don't get it unless you can mail it in for service :-). I'm serious, my Mom always checke that out before stuff at home.

The Monkeyhippy said...

It's so true!

Kathryn said...

R-
I know it doesn't seem so, but this is crazy hilarious. While reading it aloud to Jeff, I was laughing so much I started coughing. Does he not realize that he makes no sense???
-k

Kathryn said...

I mean, the service center guy makes no sense.

Jeff makes sense. Usually.

The Monkeyhippy said...

k,
thank you for clarifying. I have indeed heard Jeff make sense. I do realize the hilarity. I'm ticked at Toshiba, but not the customer service guy. I'm sure he believed (somehow) that he was offering a helpful solution.
-r

Unknown said...

hahahaha
that's amazing...