Monday, December 24, 2007

and in full recognition of my heritage, i might even go out for chinese food tonight

There's something about the pragmatism and self-reliance of New Zealanders that we Americans just don't have. I can say for sure that precious few parents of my study abroad students would possibly have this reaction to this situation. (The fact that there was a shark attack in the Galapagos is also, um, interesting, but I can only hope that our study abroad parents don't have the same Google News alerts that I do.)

On an entirely different note, I must say that I am currently experiencing a level of popularity previously unimagined. Have I discovered the meaning of life, you ask? Or the secret to getting the Town of Brattleboro to removing snow from around one's house in a non-assanine way?* No no, it is not special knowledge that I possess; nor is this sudden popularity about any particular talent. I am popular simply because of who I am.

But before that starts sounding really pompous and egotistical, let me explain what makes me so special: I am young, single, and Jewish.

That is, I am not busy on Christmas.

That is, everyone and their uncle who is celebrating Christmas, and doing so at the homes of relatives or friends who live in other towns, wants me to dog/cat/chicken/house-sit.

And I really don't mind, except a little bit last night when the long, steep driveway where I'm staying was completely coated in ice, forcing me to consider the relative attractiveness of missing my board meeting and a later holiday party versus imminent death (or at least involuntary hibernation in a snow bank until the spring thaw). A night reading on their couch by the stove was OK too. And I certainly don't mind cuddling with my friends' yellow lab or my neighbor's sweet cat.

But I will admit to having a new appreciation for my obscurity of the rest of the year.

*Sorry to get your hopes us; I actually don't think this is possible. Their snow removal "system" is just incredibly assanine. I'm resigning myself to this, and considering its implications for my decisions regarding renting/buying a home in this town in future years. Notes to self: never live on a main road, always have a yard, and make friends with someone who owns a snowblower.

No comments: