Thursday, September 6, 2007

montreal musings

Just about everyone here seems bi- (if not multi-)lingual. Oh, the envy.

This city is so beautiful! This evening around dusk I walked through Chinatown to Old Montreal and wandered around the narrow old streets, happening now and then upon some massively grand old building or church. I kept having to remind myself what city I am in (really, what continent I'm on).

I have a major weakness (OK, several, but I'm only telling you one right now): almond croissants. I had one today that was light and fluffy and almondy and exactly what an almond croissant should be. I'm guessing it had no more than six ingredients in it, and at least three of those were butter. It is a good thing I don't live in a place where this weakness can be easily indulged.

I really wish my camera hadn't died in Ireland.

The two best cities in North America for Vietnamese food seem to be Minneapolis and Montreal. (Granted, I have not extensively searched other places, but I have never found pho as good as I used to get in Minneapolis... until tonight.)

I would really like to speak French. Not only would I feel like less of a tourist here, but from speaking my three French phrases (bonjour, bonsoir, and merci) (you know, the most important ones) I've discovered that I like the way French feels. It's like holding a couple marbles on the back of your tongue and trying to talk over them. But in a good way.

(This has little to do with Montreal other than the reason I happen to be in Montreal right now...) I really wish my Spanish were better. I can understand most of the people some of the time, but I want to understand all of the people at least most of the time. Especially the Chileans. That's when I'll know I'm doing well.

I am not a fan of currencies employing coins of greater value than 25 cents. This whole 2-dollar coin thing is just a bit much, don't you think? I have so many coins clinking around in my pockets that I sound like a lost pirate.

And speaking of money: if you were planning on traveling internationally and expecting a lot of bang for your U.S. buck, I strongly recommend either serious adjustment of your expectations or staying home.

3 comments:

violindan said...

I submit that Falls Church, Va., is right up there with Minneapolis and Montreal on the list of places to get awesome Vietnamese food.

Moti and Amanda said...

The exception that proves the rule that we are the same person: I think two dollar coins (aka toonies) are awesome.

Had dinner with T. tonight, who suggested that you come up to his cabin (with me!!) next weekend. Because neither of us have been there, because there's a canoe, because we haven't hung out in forever, and because you really need to do more traveling right now, right?

Glad you're having such a good time!!

Love from back home in the boonies...

Adina@adinagordon.com said...

Along with Dan, I'll nominate another great pho city: San Francisco. Really, the whole SF Bay area. (Hi from California!) With Amanda, I'm in favor of the toonie. It's not just the cool coin, it's the phrase "loonies and toonies." There's nothing that fun in American money!

Hi Rachel! Hi Dan! Hi Amanda! See all y'all soon!