Thursday, July 19, 2007

verdict

Dublin may well be the coolest big city in the world. Of the big cities I've visited, anyway.

I've spoken as much Spanish here as English, and made friends just now with two Belgian guys in a bar, after spending the day museum-ing and just walking walking walking. I sat in the sunshine reading "Dubliners" (yes, I brought it with me for just this occasion. yes, I am a dork.) and then took a nap lying on the grass in St. Stephen's Green.

I'm on the internet (for free in the beatiful main public library) because really, nothing happens in Ireland between 5:30 and 9:00pm. Tonight I'm going in search of music. For now, I'm enjoying my Guinness buzz and the perfectly clear, sunny weather.

Tomorrow it's off to the Kilmoehnam (I'm butcherin the spelling there) Jail and more museums, and hopefully more music, and definitely buying dance shoes. And further searching for the Rodrigo y Gabriela CDs that I can't get in the U.S. Saturday it's an early bus to Limerick, where I'm hoping to wander for the afternoon and find another session as well as a cheap hostel. There's no reason to pay much, since I'm hoping to be out late and I have to be at the airport at 7:30am Sunday. This is going to be a really tough trip to come home from.

(But you know what? I miss Vermont. That's a really nice feeling, too.)

No comments: