Tuesday, July 3, 2007

the end of innocence

For the past several months I've been settling into this new job, and while I've kept busy, I always had this feeling of there being more I was supposed to be doing but just not knowing what that stuff was. People would ask me how it was going, and I'd say "great, except I wonder if that's just because I don't know what I'm not doing right!"

The nature of my work is very cyclical on both a semester and year basis. I'm just supposed to know that in June, I have to call the travel agency about confirming group flights, I'm supposed to be collecting final reports and paperwork from the Academic Directors of my programs around Latin America, etc., etc. There are a trillion details, and frankly, it takes a while to get a handle on them.

Well, I'm proud to say that tin the past couple weeks I have been feeling more like I "get it." I don't have to check my manual or yearly timeline quite as much, or remind myself 20 times of that one thing that someone mentioned offhand that, oh yeah, absolutely has to be done by July 15th or the program will collapse and cease to exist (I'm only slightly overdramatizing). I have a better sense now of what I should be working on and how urgently things need to be done.

And that sucks.

Why? Because I'm leaving the country this Friday night to spend two weeks in Ireland on vacation (Ireland! Vacation! Yippee!) and this is a lousy time to gain sudden clarity about the mountain of work in front of me, much of which truly must be finished before the end of July.

It has to get done, and it will get done, but I have no idea how or when (wow, saying that makes me feel like I'm in college again).

Ignorance really is bliss.

No comments: