Wednesday, July 4, 2007

the great american inventions

I strongly believe that the two greatest things to come out of the United States of America are blues dancing and s'mores (well, and baseball, obviously). I'm not entirely sure that s'mores are originally American, but come on, how could they not be? Who else would have thought to melt cheap corn syrup sugar, put it on top of cheap chocolate sugar, and sandwich that between wafers of cinnamon and sugar? It's truly brilliant, this country of ours.

Add to these: fireworks. A) Because they're truly awesome, in the literal sense of the word.* B) Because no matter how many times you see them, they're just as amazing the next time around. And you have to go out and see them: walk to the park with your fellow citizens, or set up shop in squeaky chairs on a friend's front lawn. There's no phoning it in on this one. C) Because no matter how hard it's raining, they can still be lit up and incredible. Believe me. We just tested this theory.

So, happy birthday America. We do have a lot to appreciate in this country, and standing in the pouring rain under a sky exploding in artificial colors and booming noise makes me feel more patriotic than I probably will until, well, next fourth of July. And while I wouldn't mind
blues dancing and eating some s'mores right about now, I can sit pretty comfortably with this feeling for at least one night.

*though have you ever wondered why that word isn't "aweful"? Like, "full of awe"? If English, which luckily we can blame the British for, actually made sense, it seems like "awful" would be a stronger way to say "awesome," right? Some awe vs. full of awe? Whatever... welcome to my brain, and my nerdy wordy writer/editor family.

3 comments:

justacoolcat said...

I'm pretty sure fireworks are Chinese.

The Monkeyhippy said...

I think that's dynamite...?

Anna said...

Not that wikipedia is always right, but here's the history of fireworks listed there.