Friday, December 19, 2008

stickler (i.e. dork) (i.e. bored)

On the list of minor quotidian annoyances, most of us would probably include "being put on hold to wait for customer service." And being forced to listen to some hideous music designed to make you regret attempting your phone call in the first place. (Though, trust me, whatever you are hearing is better than the hold music of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, to whose hold music I lost at least three months of my life in 2003-04. I can still hum it from memory.)

But honestly the thing that annoys me more than awful hold music - and I know this will make a few of you nod in agreement and many more of you start to reconsider our friendship - is the recorded message that my "call will be answered in the order it was received."

I do not claim to be the Grammar God (I'm pretty sure the title is already taken by at least three of my close relatives), but please? "In which"? "Your call will be answered in the order in which it was received"... It wouldn't take that much more breath or time to say, and it would just make that sentence so much more... complete-sentence-like.

Oh, wait, I just discovered something yet more annoying [what, you didn't realize I have been on hold waiting for customer service this whole time?]: being on hold long enough to write most of a blog post, just to have another computer voice tell me that all customer service representatives are at a meeting all day today and there is actually no one there to answer my call. Why it took the computer 15 minutes to realize and share that information, I'm not sure.

But I'm not to worry. I am to leave my name and phone number, and someone will get back to me in the order it was received. Oh good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, the whole family is full of grammar nuts. Just be glad there are a few of us in the world, and don't be hesitant to continue to correct grammar.

Auntie S

Wifey said...

So, if one of your close relatives is the Grammar God, does that make you a Grammar Demi-god? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. :)

I hate that message mostly because it interupts the music. If you're trying to soothe me with the music, don't irritate me by reminding me I'm on hold ever 15 seconds.

The other thing that drives me crazy is when the computer asks you to give it all your information, but when you finally get a person you have to repeat it all anyway. Why?!!