Sunday, December 7, 2008

in case you skipped the ny times this weekend

Several times as I read this weekend's NY Times I have found myself saying "Wow! Really?" So, I'm suggesting you read about:

1) Socially sanctioned transgender folks in rural southern Mexico.

2) The need for extremely careful, yet bold, decisions about the spending of all this fiscal stimulus money (yes, another I-can't-believe-how-much-I-now-like-Thomas Friedman column).

3) Bill Ayer's first major public statement about himself and the attempts to demonize him during the presidential campaign.

And, as long as we're on the subject of major breaking news, our local high school marching band is going to march in the inauguration parade, and I think that's pretty cool. They're a damn good band, actually.

Other breaking news: I think my new favorite thing is the chai shortbread cookies I made for a potluck today, the leftovers of which I'm hiding from myself until I go to work tomorrow and get my coworkers to eat them so that I won't.

And speaking of coworkers, I work with rock stars! I went to a local production of Puccini's short opera, "Suor Angelica," today - yes! We had a local opera production! - in which two of my coworkers had significant parts, and they blew me away. So I guess by "rock stars" I mean "amazing opera singers" which is pretty much the same thing, I'm sure you agree.

And that was my Sunday. The perfect day, if only it weren't succeeded by Monday.

5 comments:

Joey said...

I don't live in New York... why would I read another town's newspaper?

The Monkeyhippy said...

Oh dear. I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the NY Times is, ever so slightly, superior to the Greenfield Recorder.

Moti and Amanda said...

I loved the Friedman and Ayers columns *so much*. Did you also see the one about the amnesiac who died? It gave a pretty fascinating synopsis of the history of neuroscience in the 20th century...

waterskibarb said...

Please go out and buy your local newspaper, and the ny times, and whatever else you read. I'd like to keep my job!!
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122876270495988567.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

violindan said...

And if you read the story about H.M., the amnesiac, surely you should also read the just-posted (on Friday) Cerebrum book review by H.M.'s doctor.