Tuesday, August 19, 2008

i strongly suggest protective head gear

Soon I shall post rapturous odes to the glory of living alone in my wonderful new apartment... but not yet (I can actually hear your sigh of relief).

(I would like to take this moment, however, to speak rapturously of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream, which I happen to be dripping onto the keyboard right now. O! How it dost steal my heart and enlarge my ass.)

Today I just want to say that on the way to meet The Linguist for a lovely dinner in Greenfield tonight, I pulled up short before turning a corner in order to give a cyclist the right of way. As he looked back, I realized it was one of my favorite folk singers, who happens to live locally. I didn't really come close to hitting him, and the silly man wasn't wearing a helmet, but that didn't stop me from feeling just slightly more startled than I otherwise might in such a situation.

It's like the time I worked up the courage to take my violin to a local session, planning to hide in the back, and ended up stuck in the middle next to a) one of the most attractive men in my community, on whom I have the kind of crush that makes you feel completely stupid every time you're in the presence of the other person, which is both fun and really annoying now that I'm not in 6th grade anymore, and b) one of the best composers and performers of traditional music, um, anywhere. And my violin bridge spontaneously snapped in half while I was trying to adjust the tuning and the pieces went shooting through the air just past Mr. Incredible Musician's head, and I thought to myself, gee, wouldn't it be fun to be forever known as the person who BLINDED Keith Murphy by (very accidentally, but still) stabbing him in the eyeball with a piece of my instrument?

I think I'd much rather stab myself in the eyeball with a piece of my instrument.

It's not that I have it in for musicians or that I'm particularly prone to almost causing bodily harm to musicians I admire. It's just that there are more musicians around here than you can shake a stick at, whatever that phrase actually means, so you're bound to nearly run one over sooner or later. You didn't know that music could be a contact sport, did you?

5 comments:

violindan said...

Lucky for you, it appears that Keith Murphy wears protective eyewear.

Joey said...

You got the hots for Keith Murphy?

The Monkeyhippy said...

No no, silly Joe. Please note the use of bullet points A and B, as in Person A and Person B. Different people, clearly (right??). No starting rumors! I don't need Becky mad at me, on top of it all.

Joey said...

Oh... I thought the bullets were describing different aspects of the *same* person... I get it now...

So you're hot for David Kaynor?

Unknown said...

hahaha -- Rachel, you're my favorite.