Thursday, October 30, 2008

when life gives you lemons, make lists of all the things you could do with them.

WHAT I want to do

Learn how to plan and create sustainable
communities that enhance human security after conflict and natural disasters and enable future crisis-resilience

Live in my wonderful apartment in my wonderful community

Sing in my vocal trio

Make some sort of money that allows me to survive in grad school

Get the most I can out of grad school without losing my mind

Play upright bass

Not go into horrific debt

Keep a pretty close eye on what life is actually about (read: NOT academia and stress and isolation)

WHERE I need to be to do these things

Boston

and

Southern Vermont

DISCUSS.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be a whole lot worse. A friend of mine has similar tension, and just started grad school in Boston...but her other location in Berkeley, CA. Boston and southern VT are only a few hours apart.

That said, this is still a difficult dilemma, to which I can't suggest a good solution.

Moti and Amanda said...

The upshot is that you've done a variation on this theme before, and that Boston/Bratt isn't much farther apart than NYC/Gfield. Are you coming to kid-counting tonight? Talk to K! (And see my Granny!)

waterskibarb said...

Do they offer correspondence classes? :-)

The Monkeyhippy said...

Actually, I'm happy to report that Boston/Bratt is significantly closer than NYC/Gfield. I guess the solution to my problem really is Rt 2.

Adina@adinagordon.com said...

In some perspectives (i.e. mine), Boston-Bratt is commuting distance. Going home isn't a big deal at all.

solutions:
(a) go to grad school
(b) I think we should work something out
(c) rehearse at Adam's, that seems relatively equidistant
(d) discuss. Something will come out of it.
(e) See "commute," above
(f) so play!
(g) Pell grant?
(h) see (e). Every Monday & Thursday in Concord, too.

Anonymous said...

umm, hello people--the correct answer is that you should CLEARLY move to Boone, NC so that you can be close to us--that will solve all of your problems! :) tehe--but more seriously, you can totally do the Rte. 2 commute--I bet you can even find people to commute with!

Christopher Parker said...

Well, I don't have any great wisdom to offer, but I offer my solidarity/support.

Anonymous said...

How about drop everything and move to New Orleans with your bass? I see you between the tennis shoe tap dancer and the creepy statue guy.