Sunday, November 18, 2007

looking forward

And lest there be any doubt about winter being upon us, Tomato Hands and I went hiking yesterday on Bald Mountain, in Townshend State Park about half an hour north of here,* and saw a veritable blanket of snow on the ground. I was emotionally unprepared for this.**

Off the subject of impending doom winter, though, I want to say how deeply happy I am that Tomato Hands and I finally spent some time together outside of a contra dance or potluck or other people-intensive context. She is lovely and fun and we have much in common, and I have much to learn from her. And she's moving to Brattleboro, which just further demonstrates her wisdom and good sense.

Funny how friendships happen or don't, and how some that don't can lead to others that do, making the former unexpectedly worthwhile.

*a wonderful place to hike. If you live here, go there.

**see, the thing is that I love snow, but once it really snows here, my parking situation starts to suck because we can't park overnight on the street anymore. I will have to park downtown in the garage, a 10-minute walk (which is further when it sounds when it's freezing outside), and be sure that it goes in after 6pm and comes out before 9am (if I don't want to pay, which I don't). Spiritually, I love snow. Practically, I'd be fine without it as long as I live in my current house.

No comments: