Thursday, June 28, 2007

which one of these is not like the other?

Apparently the Pope, long known for wanting to take the Catholic Church back to its glory days, has decided to relax restrictions on the celebration of mass in Latin.

OK. I'm not Catholic (in case you didn't know) and I never gave this much thought, but what thought I ever have given it tended toward "if people want to, why not?" It doesn't seem like the world's most learnable or fun language. If they're really that motivated, my (completely ignorant) opinion on the matter is that it's not hurting anyone, so go ahead.

The curious thing is that "The decision comes after months of debate. Some cardinals, bishops and Jewish leaders have opposed any change, voicing complaints about everything from the text of the old Mass to concerns that the move will lead to further changes to the reforms approved by 1962-65 Second Vatican Council." (Yahoo News)

Does any part of that sentence jump out at you as a bit odd?

I mean, I would say there is truth in the stereotype about us being a particularly opinionated people, but frankly this suggests that some people have way too much time on their hands. Um, guys?* Don't you think there are some major theological, or, say, geopolitical issues of our own that we could be devoting this energy to?

*because yes, I'm sure the "leaders" implied here are men

No comments: