Monday, June 18, 2007

Referrals Disease

Referrals Disease is when your visit to one doctor results in seeing multiple other doctors. In my case a general practitioner is leading to an orthopedist and a neurologist (no, I did not knee myself in the head; the issues are unrelated).

The good news is that the combination of mysterious health issues and lots of internet access means that I am learning quite a bit. Of course, how much of that is accurate is a different question, but I stick to the NIH and Mayo Clinic websites, which are said to be trustworthy. It's amazing how much information is out there! And how many weird things can happen to the human body (or that the body can do to itself)!

I must say, Google is probably the best thing that ever happened to hypochondriacs. I am not one, but the wealth of information out there makes it easy to imagine oneself fitting the descriptions of, for example, all 37,000 diseases possibly related to "fatigue."

No doubt having 37,000 diseases at once would be tiring, indeed.

No comments: