Wednesday, January 28, 2009

for the three people who read this blog who are not on facebook (hi mom!)

There's this thing going around Facebook, as many of you probably know, wherein someone writes a list of 25 random things about him/herself and then "tags" 25 people (meaning those people get alerted that someone tagged them and they're supposed to read the note) (that explanation was for my mother), who are then supposed to do the same and tag 25 more people, including the person who tagged them.

Yes, it's a glorified chain letter, but slightly less annoying because it doesn't clog your inbox, and nobody actually has to read (or open/skim/delete) it if they don't want. You can learn some interesting things about your friends this way, and it seemed like an interesting exercise to engage in for myself. We're each a collection of thousands or millions of random things, really, so what are the 25 to choose to put out there at this moment? Why those? Ahh, so much to ponder. Anyway, since I'm at home fighting something flu-like and listening to sleet bouncing off the windows, I wrote my list this morning and I'm posting it here too. Here you go...

1. I am fairly introverted.

2. My middle name is Harriet. It took me years to stop disliking and hiding it.

3. I played the flute for a year. I tended to hyperextend my pinky finger (still do, actually), which hurt a lot when I played, so I quit.

4. I could - and often do - eat kale every day.

5. I never understood why my mom had a huge collection of cookbooks that she enjoyed just reading, until suddenly I found myself doing the same thing.

6. When I was a kid I watched hours and hours of TV every day. Crappy TV. I could probably have so many more brain cells than I do.

7. I hope to someday own a rottweiler or pit bull/boxer. I love big dogs.

8. I have spent a fair amount of time looking for my third grade teacher, Mrs. Fillinger. I really want to tell her what a big influence she had on my life. Haven't found her yet.

9. When I was young I was fairly certain that I would become a veterinarian and live in Caribou, Maine. The latter because it was the location furthest north on the Weather Channel map, which held some mysterious appeal. This is funny because I also wanted nothing more than to live in a city bigger than the one in which I grew up (which Caribou is certainly not). I do not want that now.

10. I have visited 43 U.S. states (the exceptions are Alaska, Hawaii, Nebraska, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Alabama, and Louisiana) and 19 countries. I have lived in 5 states and 3 countries.

11. I am completely and madly in love with where I live right now.

12. I carry a small notebook absolutely everywhere. It would be bad if I lost it, though whoever found it would learn a lot (of mundane, boring stuff) about me.

13. I don't like writing on lined paper.

14. One of my kidneys doesn't work all that well, due to scar tissue from a number of infections when I was younger.

15. I am very much looking forward to being a crotchety, pithy, hilarious old lady.

16. I am aware that I may not live that long. A lot of people die before they're old. Such is life. I think that's why I want to do everything that interests me RIGHT NOW. Who knows if this is my only chance?

17. I know I lived a full and happy life before I found contra dancing; I just can't quite remember what I was doing with all my time back then.

18. The adjectives I most want to live up to are: kind, dependable, and low-maintenance.

19. I'll do almost anything once, just to see what it's like. This has led to some amazing and some amazingly difficult experiences.

20. I have never had any part of my body pierced, though I do have one tattoo.

21. I'm arachniphobic. It's pretty well under control now.

22. Part of me really wants to live in Nicaragua someday.

23. I have never smoked marijuana, not once. Very few people believe this.

24. I think good homegrown tomatoes are the tastiest food imaginable.

25. My eyes turn green when I cry.

26. I have always been totally fascinated by the idea of being a long-haul truck driver.

27. I don't follow rules (like "write 25 things") very well.

No comments: