Tuesday, June 24, 2008

poetry week, day 5, plus an explanation of the global economic meltdown, and my feelings about golf

Want to understand the current economic crisis? Here's some major help. I've listened to the podcast twice now and I intend to keep it as long as possible and listen at least once more, just to make sure I actually understand it. Not because it's complicated, but because it's so obscenely simple that I can't wrap my head around how things went so wrong.

Want to know how I feel about golf? Yeah, I'm sure you don't really, but read this anyway. It's funny.

Want to know the best thing that happened yesterday, or maybe in weeks? Someone else did my laundry, not for the first time ever. This poem is for her, with oh-so-much gratitude and love.

Do you know a laundry poem? Post it in the comments. It wasn't so easy to find one.

Sock Eater
by Betsy Rosenthal

On laundry days
my mother says
the dryer is a crook.

It’s all because
a sock is gone—
the one the dryer took.

I tell my mom
she shouldn’t let
the dryer see us eat.

It’s sure to munch
a sock or two
because it craves a treat.

2 comments:

violindan said...

No poem, but Liz has reminded me often of a saying, especially appropriate for us, that apparently was once made into a song: "Normal is just a setting on the washing machine." I find the saying online, but no song lyrics.

The Monkeyhippy said...

Hehe. I have a great book called "Normal Is Just a Setting On the Dryer". Never heard of a song about it though. I'll show you the book someday.