Friday, March 28, 2008

where to begin?

I'm back.

I'm sick.

The week in the middle was really tough. The time on either side was good; the second part less so due to my being deathly ill and unable to wash my hands with soap regularly, much less practice good reactive self-care like sleeping a lot and drinking lots of tea and other good things.

Panama was amazing in its new-(yet-quite-familiar-)ness. There is so much more there that I want to see and hear and do. Next time.

Nicaragua was amazing in its comfort and the welcome I received from people who have very little cause to remember me, much less with the affection I felt from them. I am sure I do not deserve it, but it made the experience there worthwhile.

I'm feeling intense culture shock today that belies the very short period of time I was gone. I already miss speaking Spanish more than I could have anticipated. My feverish dreams today have been all over the geographical and linguistic map.

And, Goddamnit, I do not want to be sick on my birthday.

And if my housemates really had to replace my stereo on the table in the living room with an enormous fish tank, could they not have gotten one that doesn't look gross and smell bad? I swear, I can't fathom where they come up with these things sometimes.

No comments: