Sunday, March 30, 2008

reluctantly letting go of the day

There is nothing, or at least very little, as heartwarming as throwing a birthday potluck and having so many people show up - including two new/old friends who drove about three hours roundtrip just to be here for my potluck, which was just about the sweetest thing ever - that they pack several rooms of the house and excite the dog so much that they may never again find their shoes.

And having more people email and call to say they wish they could come, and others email and call from far away just because they remembered it's my birthday (and I say that as someone who is terrible with birthdays, terrible as in I'm still not entirely sure of my parents' birthdays and I am forever confusing the birthday of my lifelong best friend - we're talking about since birth here - with Pearl Harbor day, because they're both in mid-December. You'd think I'd figure out at some point, especially considering the entirely non-celebratory nature of one of those dates, but you'd clearly be wrong).

People came, there was good food and laughter and Quelf. Then I managed to hop to downtown Brattleboro with The Artist just in time to catch the last dance, and got a waltz with my favorite partner. I came back home and cleaned, which took all of maybe 10 minutes, because my community is the Best Potluck Community Ever and tends to leave potluck houses cleaner than they found them. And then I sat down and checked the nine - nine! - voicemails from people who called me this afternoon (thank you all! I was busy potlucking but I will try to call you back soon!).

What does it all boil down to?

This: I feel very, very, very, very loved. I am sure I haven't done anything to bring me anywhere close to deserving all of it, but luckily I guess it's not an entirely merit-based system. Anyway, THANK YOU. I have not, in recent memory, had a birthday anywhere near as wonderful as this one.*


*But please note: In 2011, I will turn 30 on the 30th. Please keep this date free, as there's going to be one hell of a party. Thank you.

1 comment:

Moti and Amanda said...

Were you there for the part when I was standing in the diningroom, and lifted my foot out of my crocs to use my toes to scratch my leg? Before I put my foot back down, the shoe was gone! :)

Awesome potluck, and yes, you are very loved!! I'm so glad you're here, even if you don't live on my futon anymore.

love a.