Monday, January 7, 2008

freezin' for a reason!

It's that time of year again... I'm going to jump into the freezing cold ocean for a good cause, and I'm asking for your financial support. That's better than asking you to jump in with me, right? (Though if you're interested, we'd love to have you!)

What: the New England Network for Child, Youth and Family Services' annual Polar Plunge (by the way, that's me in the photo on the NEN homepage. My best side, too).

When: February 10, 2008

Where: the L Street Beach, South Boston, plunging into the Atlantic Ocean, which is VERY VERY COLD in February, just so you know. Last year there was ice in the water, and salt water doesn't freeze unless it's really cold. Did I mention it's going to be really cold? (The thermometer in the photo says the air temp was 20F at plunge time last year, and the wind chill was 4 degrees.)

Why: My dear friend Meredith works for DIAL/SELF Teen Services as director of the emergency shelter and support program for homeless teens in and around Greenfield, MA. Team DIAL/SELF has participated in this freezing event for the past two years, raising over $3,000 for DIAL/SELF. A smaller portion of the funds we raise goes to the New England Network's general fund to support other good organizations around Massachusetts.
I hope you know that I don't make this appeal lightly; I know you don't read my blog to be solicited. But this is a fun event and a great cause. Please consider making a pledge of support. If you are able to pledge, please make checks out to the New England Network and mail them to me (email or leave a comment to get the address) or pledge online. Thank you so much!

(The badminton rackets are each embroidered with a letter to spell out DIAL/SELF, in case you wondered)

No comments: