Friday, October 26, 2007

so late it's early

Seeing as how it's 4:00am, it's totally against my better judgment that I'm online right now at all, much less that I'm about to blather about the most exciting thing in my life right now, not to mention the danger of this post going very stream-of-consciousness and really just ceasing to make any sense.

I mentioned it in my last post, so here you go, officially: I'm in a newly-created vocal trio, in which I basically get to hang out and sing with two of the most talented musicians and wonderful guys I know. Now and then I feel like they're going to wake up one morning and realize that there are a million more talented people out there that they could choose to sing with, but I'm certainly not going to point it out. Until then, we are having a lot of fun finding and arranging tunes we want to sing - mostly traditional and modern folk, with what I'd like to call a "funky twist," and being silly and creative every Tuesday night. We have a name and all, but I kind of want us to have a website we can unveil before I go posting it, so haha I'm not telling you what it is.

Tonight we recorded a demo album to send to concert and festival organizers so that they'll want to hire us to sing in front of crowds of people. Our 9pm-1am recording session ran overtime, as recording sessions are apparently wont to do, and I just got home around 3:45. Now I am trying to decide if I want to try to catch about 4 hours of sleep, probably in the jeans and t-shirt I'm wearing now, before getting up and going to work, or if I want to just keep distracting myself into wakefulness until it's light out, convince myself that I'm awake, and go ahead with the day. Either way, tomorrow (oops, that's actually today) will be interesting.

But the last six hours have been some of the most educational (and FUN) I've ever had. Recording in a studio is a whole other thing from... well, anything I've ever done. I'm so grateful to have had this first recording experience with two good friends who have been there before and actually know what they're doing, as opposed to stumbling along for the ride. The detail in which one can get caught up, the skills and tricks the sound engineer (and ours was awesome) applies when mixing a track, the time and concentration it takes to record just three songs... and, more than anything, the insight recording gives you into the way your voices sound and blend and carry... it's incredible.

I know I use those words a lot: incredible, amazing, awesome... The thing is, they apply to so many things in my life. I don't know how I got this lucky, and I don't know when my shit's gonna come due, but I sure am having fun these days.

That didn't go too terribly off-topic, did it? I could go back and read it, but that seems like too much work right now. I'd rather figure out why this lovely new demo CD doesn't want to play on my computer, and then... well, wander to bed, or just around the house for a while until daylight.

1 comment:

waterskibarb said...

Rachel, if it's not too late - GO TO BED :-)! You'll thank me tomorrow.