Thursday, February 22, 2007

the longer version

Welcome to my blog (wow... never thought I'd say that).

Since you're here, it means you already know the short version. Thanks for coming over; make yourself comfy.

Some of you knew my news, some had heard of the possibility, and some may have fallen off your chair from shock. I wish I could call everyone individually, but there are just not enough waking hours in the day.


After two years in New York City working at American Jewish World Service, I have decided to leave for greener pastures - literally. I will be moving in March to Brattleboro, Vermont to work at the School for International Training (SIT) as a Study Abroad Coordinator. I will be responsible for admissions, preparation and academic/logistical support for undergraduate students from around the U.S. going on SIT's semester-long study abroad programs in Ecuador, Nicaragua, Panama, Mexico, and Montserrat. If you want to know more about SIT, see http://www.sit.edu/studyabroad/.

I'm told (though this is unsubstantiated) that they literally coined the term "study abroad," and it's one of the better-known and highly regarded organizations in international education. I'm very lucky to get this position, especially because it allows me to do a kind of work I am really committed to and to live in a place that makes me really happy. (And after two years there I can pursue a Masters degree - they have eight M.A. programs - for free.)

I truly love my work at AJWS, and leaving is in many ways the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Working there has allowed me great opportunities to learn more about service-learning and international development, to travel, and to connect with absolutely amazing people in and around the organization and the Jewish communal world. AJWS has in many ways defined my adult identity - starting the day I arrived in New York City in the summer of 2000 as a rising college sophomore to go on what is now called AJWS Volunteer Summer (then to Honduras and Israel for a month each). I dreamed then of somehow, someday getting to do this kind of work full-time, and here I am doing it not so many years later. I am leaving work I love, at an organization I love, that pays me well and gives me lots of time off. Yes, I have asked myself many times over the last few months if I've lost my mind for even considering this.

But even (especially?) work you love can be very stressful, and we all need balance. Unfortunately, it turns out that my trepidation about moving to this concrete jungle was well-founded, and I've never liked living in NYC. The sources of balance I've found in the past couple years have made me very happy but also stretched me in too many directions, as I've left the city almost every weekend to spend time in western MA/southern VT (where Brattleboro is) or other greener, less-frenetic places (we're talking every weekend - I've spent maybe 10-15 weekends in the city in the last two years). I already have a whole community of friends (mostly through the dance community) where I'm moving to; I am so incredibly fortunate to say that this move feels less like starting over and more like going home (no offense to Normal).

There are wonderful things about New York City that I will definitely miss, but I really agree with everyone who says New York is a "great place to visit; wouldn't want to live there." Ironically, I may well spend more weekend time here once I move away than I do now, at least as long as my wonderful friends are here and they let me crash on their couches and get my fill of big museums and great international food. And then I will go home to Vermont, and I will shop at the local food co-op and go to the weekly contra dances and hike every day. This move is all about lifestyle, and I am very, very excited to try that one full-time. Believe me, this doesn't surprise you any more than it surprises me. Who ever would have guessed this was my path? Life really is a great adventure.

Thank you for making it all the way to the end of this, and please know that I miss you and want to be in touch (or you wouldn't be receiving this), and really want you to come visit me in Vermont! Please don't be offended if I seem to be a complete failure at communication (even more than usual) in the next month or two; I'm going to be traveling back and forth between AJWS and SIT every week to work half-time (but probably more, realistically) in each place in March, while trying to move and say goodbye to New York. It's going to be interesting. Sometime in April I'll be able to crawl back into the world and will hopefully have a lot more time for the phone calls and letters and emails that I owe you all.

Be well, and keep in touch.

p.s. Here is a quote, to keep things in perspective:
If I were absolutely certain of all things, I would be fearful of losing my way. But since everything and anything are always possible, the miraculous is always nearby, and wonders shall never, ever cease.
- Robert Fulghum

4 comments:

violindan said...

Let me be the first to comment on your blog! And say you're welcome, for if I hadn't come to New York the past couple years, you might have been there fewer than 10-15 weekends.

Kevin said...

Hope that spare room/floor space/tent space/whatever...is there...we've not been to Vermont before and it would
be fun to dance up there sometime :-)

Sarah Louise Galbraith said...

Love the blog, love Rachel.

Aaron Fowles said...

SIT *is* well-known. It'll be a good job for you.