Saturday, February 24, 2007

i do miss that place

I have had a mysterious 999-999-9999 number showing up as a missed call on my cell phone recently, without ever getting a voicemail. The night before last, as I was working late, it called again, and I was bored and curious so I answered it. Sure enough, it was a telemarketer. From the St Paul Chamber Orchestra, to which I used to give money back in the day (because it's an incredible ensemble; check it out). And it was the most Minnesotan voice I've heard in a while; obviously some sweet old lady volunteering for the SPCO. I was suddenly transported back to college, chatting with the dining hall ladies in their funny hats who always made me feel like the world must be overflowing with grandmas.

She quickly assured me that she wasn't trying to sell me anything, yada yada... I interrupted her to say that I love the SPCO but no longer live there, and she apparently was sitting in front of some magical technology that made her exclaim "Oooh my goodness! You live in New York City now! Oooh my!". I replied, "yes, though I'm actually moving to Vermont soon..." (I guess I can't resist telling the world)... and she proceeded to commiserate about ("oooh yaaaah") how tough it is to move but how beautiful Vermont is, and assure me that she was sure I am supporting the arts wherever I am and that's obviously a wonderful thing, and closed by wishing me very well on my move and new path in life.


I miss Minnesotans.

If nothing else, they make the gosh-darn best telemarketers this side of Delhi.

1 comment:

Wifey said...

I used to get calls from the SPCO all the time. They always managed to call me in the middle of a lecture. How embarassing. The funny thing is they aren't calling from Minnesota. SPCO contracts a company from Indiana to do their telemarketing. But they always *pretend* to be in St. Pauls. Fakers.