Friday, May 16, 2008

friday link day

Cool story in the NYT today about an Olympic hopeful turning the meanings of "disabled" and "able-bodied" just a little bit upside-down.

I just wish I could get excited about the Olympics at all, given the many controversies we seem to so easily forget in the face of a natural disaster. I'm not minimizing the earthquake; I just think the quake doesn't warrant total forgiveness or forgetfulness of everything else.

On the bright side, I'm looking forward to the Olympics being on the other side of the world again, such that I will be able to know results before watching (um, on my hypothetical TV) the competitions themselves. I get very nervous for the competitors, regardless of any attachment I may (but probably don't) have to their winning or losing. The whole results-in-advance thing proved very comforting in 2004 with the Athens Olympics. Yes, that is ridiculous. Welcome to my world.

At least my brother - the brain research editor - has given me some cool suggestions for insight as to why.

No comments: